Can I still file for divorce if I don’t know where my spouse lives?

Hermitage and Mt. Juliet, Tennessee

Whether you live in Mt. Juliet or Hermitage you must attempt to serve your spouse with divorce papers at their last known location.  Once you have made an attempt to serve the divorce papers at that location then you should make a reasonable effort to locate your spouse using their family, friends or last known employer.  You may not be able to locate your spouse with these resources but at least you tried.  You will then file a motion with the divorce court to serve your spouse the divorce papers by publication.  You will pay for the publication in the county your spouse last resided and it must run four weeks.  Once you meet all these requirement you can then seek a default judgment for the divorce.

If you need a divorce attorney contact us today.  Yancy Belcher is a divorce, estate and family law attorney located in Mt. Juliet and serving clients in Mount Juliet, Lebanon and Hermitage, Tennessee. We offer free consultations to all potential clients. Call (615) 773-2889, or complete our free case evaluation form.

© Yancy Belcher Web Design & SEO by Bryant Consultants | Disclaimer