Mt. Juliet and Lebanon TN

A conservatorship is a court-ordered legal relationship in which a conservator is appointed to oversee and manage the personal, medical, and financial needs of an incapacitated and elderly person. Often, the conservator is a spouse or child of the person who is unable to manage their affairs independently. The court can give the following powers to a conservator:

  • Choosing where the ward lives
  • Making medical decisions
  • Controlling financial and contractual affairs of the wardestate planning attorney nashville and mt. juliet
  • Making estate planning decisions

Elder law firms in Hermitage and Mt. Juliet such as Yancy Belcher, Attorney at Law, can assist clients in conservatorship proceedings. Our Mt. Juliet and Hermitage elder attorneys have a long and established reputation for ensuring that the rights of the ward are protected, and that the powers conferred on the conservator are limited to those that meet the level of incapacity for the ward.

Help for Those Who Can No Longer Help Themselves

When a senior citizen can no longer manage his or her medical and financial affairs, Mt. Juliet conservatorship law allows for another person, typically a spouse or adult child, to oversee the affairs of the ward so that every action taken is in his or her best interests. The reasons one might have for seeking a conservatorship for an elderly person are numerous. Some of the most common causes are that the senior citizen has severe dementia, suffered a stroke, or developed a mental illness, and is therefore thought to be incapable of properly managing the everyday personal and financial affairs the rest of us take for granted.

Obtaining a Conservatorship

Obtaining a conservatorship in Mt. Juliet involves going to court. Our experienced attorneys will assist you in these legal proceedings, making sure that you are fully informed of your rights and responsibilities concerning the ward. Under Mt. Juliet conservatorship, the conservator can determine where the ward lives, how finances and medical decisions are handled, and if applicable, what plans are made for the estate of the ward. We focus our attentive, personalized service on both you and the ward, so that together your rights are heard and upheld.

Contact Us to Discuss Conservatorship Law in Mt. Juliet or Hermitage Today

Have additional questions? Contact Yancy Belcher a divorce, elder and family law attorney located in Mt. Juliet and serving clients in Mt. Juliet and Hermitage, Tennessee. We offer free consultations to all potential clients. Call (615) 773-2889, or complete our free case evaluation form.